Tuesday, November 13, 2012

What to do??

I began looking up artists who use food and thought this would be a great way to introduce some new artists to the students. I found this amazing artist named Ray Villifane who carves these INCREDIBLE pumpkins---> awesome for Halloween. I then found another artist (the name escapes me right now) who uses food such as rice, food dye, beans, vegetables, fruit, etc. Most of their images were also Halloween related. I introduced my teacher to these artists and then told her my idea, which I was soo nervous about because I was afraid she was going to say no considering food is not really allowed in the art classroom. However, she gave me the ok provided I was EXTREMELY careful about organization and clean up. I introduced the idea to her for the students to work with food, specifically with cupcakes and candy. I told her I would provide everything. She asked me what kinds of candy I was thinking and what exactly would the students be doing with the food. I informed her that the students would be using this new material (food-- cake, icing, candy, etc.) to create Halloween cupcakes like skulls, witches, zombies. She told me that I had to narrow this down, make it more simple. We then narrowed it down to monsters. The students would be creating monsters with the food materials. However, I had to narrow it down even more because I was thinking they could create their own colors with food dye- mixing red and blue to make purple, but my teacher said that would be too difficult for them considering they JUST learned about the color wheel and it might be too intimidating.  Therefor, I was told to make some colors and have only 3 colors available. Also, I had to limit the number of candies and food I would be providing to the students to about 5-6. So the formula was 3 colors, 5-6 candies on each table, knives, table cloths, cups to hold the frosting, cupcakes, napkins, visual imagery, 2 artist examples, 2 posters, me, and 2 classrooms full of high school students.
Food art

No comments:

Post a Comment