Tuesday, November 13, 2012

My fieldwork at Roy C Ketcham

This semester I was assigned to Roy C Ketcham High School in Wappingers. I was familiar with this school because many of my friends went there back in the day and I had heard good things about it, so I was excited to see what it was like. My first day I was a bit nervous until I met my teacher. I knew her from my high school which was John Jay, about 15 minutes from Ketcham. However, I never had her an an instructor, but I knew she taught Photo at my old high school. Anyway, almost instantly I became even more excited and less nervous. I interviewed her, asked a few questions about the school and her classes, and came to find out that she taught 5 classes a day. Two classes were "Design Form," a studio class. The other three classes were photo classes, which were taught in a different room full of Mac computers attached to a dark room. I thought that this was great because I was getting to see how one teacher had to assume the responsibilities of teaching two separate courses and how she handled it. I was also told that the classes she taught were mixed grades so students in grades 9-12 were in the same class. I was also informed that many of the students had IEPs, and many of them were in the class only because they had to be. When I say this I mean that it was the only other elective they could choose if they didn't want to talk music  or home economics. Many of them were taking art because they thought it would be an easy class, which for some photo students was a rude awakening because photo is so technical and requires a lot of time.

No comments:

Post a Comment