Thursday, December 13, 2012

Surrealism in the classroom


During the presentations Tanya and Jennifer talked about how they taught surrealism in the classroom. Recently I have been working on a surrealism based lesson and when I heard that they had done this I immediately became interested. They said that they had a great outcome from it. The students were definitely really involved. One student even said it changed his/her perspectice on art because they did not know that art could consist of nonsense. I personally find surrealism fascinating and wanted to connect it to my body lesson, the one that is about the body and its extensions. In the lesson I am having students paint surrealist landscapes based on their dream, but they are also painting with a physical body extension like the artist Stelarc. I would also be teaching them about Salvador Dali. What concerns me about this lesson is whether or not I should show more surrealist painters or just keep it simple with Dali examples. I do not want to over complicate it, but am unsure if maybe instead of complicating it the lesson would be more interesting. Though I do feel that the lesson itself is a bit complicated and will need a great deal of explaining and visual examples. Explaining what I mean by an "extension" might be difficult. Not only would I be showing Stelarc but I also found child artists who have artificial hands (prosthetic hands) and they still are able to paint and even paint with their false hand. I think that the idea of adding a physical extension to the lesson really could challenge the students. Also the idea of painting a dream is an imaginative extension of the body. A concern I have is that maybe the physical extension does not relate to painting a surreal dreamlike landscape, however they are both 2 extensions. But should they relate?

No comments:

Post a Comment