Friday, December 14, 2012

Student teaching next semester

I have recently received e-mails about student teaching next semester. My placement back at Ketcham is still pending. I am not sure what is going on about that. However, I was told that I would be placed at Vails gate High Tech Magnet School in New Windsor. The teacher e-mailed me saying she received my resume. She wanted to meet me so a couple of weeks ago I drove down there. The school seemed to be in a nice neighborhood and it was very welcoming. I went during a parent teacher conference night. While I was waiting to meet with the teacher I roamed the halls looking at the artwork that was hung up. The school is a K-5 school and I got the feeling that many of the students were of latino and/or African American descent. When I finally met with the teacher I took a look around her classroom. It was very well organized, had many motivating and art related posters, a lot of student artwork, and many supplies. She wanted to talk to me about coming in to student teach in the spring. She expressed her concern that there is only one week of school, then spring break, then the rest of the weeks. She did not want me to feel as if she was just throwing me in. She seemed very friendly and that she had been teaching for quite some time. She went over what the students would be working on in the spring which was basically form, texture, and space. Then she showed me the schedule. Many of the classes are bilingual classes and 2 are special needs. The bilingual classes are taught in spanish all day and then they get their 45 minutes of english in the art classroom. I thought this was fascinating and I am really excited about it because I am Cuban and it is a great opportunity for me to learn from students as well as practice my Spanish. Overall, I am very excited.

No comments:

Post a Comment