Friday, September 2, 2011

First Response to Readings 8/25

I can't help feeling a bit confused, angry, and awkward after reading these articles based on race and racism in schools and the classroom. For me, race and racism is a topic that I just avoid conversation about. I'm afraid to say anything because I try to avoid conflict, but really this is so wrong. Racism is something that cannot be ignored, especially in school settings. Sure, I wish it didn't impact our lives, but that would mean living in a fairytale land. Racism is not something that has particularly affected me in my life, but every now and then it does... even by members of my own family. To me skin color and ethnicity does not matter, let me just make that clear. I really couldn't give a hoot what color someone is or what kind of culture they came from. I came from a bit of an eccentric one myself, which I feel makes me a bit more understanding. Don't get me wrong, I am one of those students who grew up in an entirely white neighborhood, went to  predominately white Catholic schools all my life, and so racism never really was a major issue in my life. However, I did know what it was, I understood that much, but looking back at myself as a child I have to admit that I was a bit racist. I mean honestly I think that everyone is a little bit racist, whether they admit it or not. I think that some of these ideas and beliefs that we see in media, art, magazines, tv, our own experiences, etc. whether we consciously realize it or not makes us a bit judgmental and prejudice. I'm not speaking for everybody, and to tell you the truth I'm a bit hesitant about posting it here, but I'm not one to hold back what I have to say. I'm kind of sick of holding it in and if I am going to be a teacher I need to get used to expressing what I think and how I feel, especially as an art educator. And to be quite honest again, I can't wait to have my own classroom with a diversified group of children. I am so excited because if everyone was exactly the same, what fun would that be? Stories and experiences children have coming into the classroom can teach not only other students but the teacher themselves about who these kids are, what kind of places are they coming from, and what they can bring to the classroom. Everyone can learn from each other, no one is better than anyone else, and every single day of our lives we learn more and more about the world and people. What could be better than that?

No comments:

Post a Comment